Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
There are many causes of motorcycle accidents. Many times car and truck drivers fail to yield to bikers, misjudge a biker’s distance or speed, or simply fail to observe a biker on the highway and cause a collision. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own, we’re here to help. Call the Law Office of Bill Pelhan at 717-392-6362 and get the help you need.
Here are some common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Distracted Driving. A driver who is distracted takes his eyes off the road leading to a collision. Of all the forms of distracted driving, texting may be the worse since a typical text takes five seconds. In that time, a vehicle traveling at 55 miles per hour will travel approximately the length of a football field.
- Drunk Driving. A driver who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs causes a collision.
- Drowsy Driving. Driving while drowsy or sleepy can be as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Speeding Drivers. Speeding drivers are often responsible for accidents involving motorcyclists. And, unfortunately, the harm to the biker can be devastating.
- Aggressive Drivers. Aggressive drivers will often follow bikers too closely creating a dangerous situation for the biker. Other times aggressive drivers may weave in and out of traffic which can create another hazard for bikers.
- Car and Truck Driver Mistakes. Often times when a motorcycle is involved in an accident with a car or truck, the accident is the fault of the car or truck driver. Many times, the at-fault driver will simply fail to see the biker or fail to adequately judge the speed of the motorcycle and this will lead to a collision.
- Poor Road Design or Road Conditions. Potholes, slippery roads, and other road hazards can make the highway dangerous for the biker.
- Manufacturer’s Defects. Sometimes a motorcycle accident can be the result of a manufacturer’s defect such as a defect in the design of the motorcycle or a defect occurring in the building of the motorcycle such as a deficient weld which can lead to an accident.
Don’t delay: Regardless of the cause of your motorcycle accident, don’t delay in contacting my office. A delay in retaining an attorney can result in the loss of important evidence or the opportunity to find and talk to key witnesses. Get the help you need by calling me at 717-392-6362.