Posted on Thursday, May 11th, 2017 at 5:15 pm
According to the AARP, if you are over 50, even the most experienced drivers can benefit
from brushing up on their driving skills.
A refresher course such as the one offered by AARP will help you learn the current rules of the road, defensive driving techniques and help you operate your vehicle more safely in an increasingly challenging driving environment. Courses also help you learn how to manage and accommodate common age-related changes in vision, hearing and reaction time.
These courses also help you learn:
• How to minimize the effects of dangerous blind spots
• How to maintain the proper following distance behind another car
• The safest way to change lanes and make turns at busy intersections
• Proper use of safety belts, airbags, antilock brakes and other new technology found in today’s cars
• How to monitor your own and others’ driving skills and capabilities
• The effect that medications can have on driving
• The importance of eliminating distractions such as using a cell phone, smoking, or eating while driving
You can register on line to take a course by going to aarpdriversafety.org
Source: An article entitled Why Take a Driver Safety Course? posted on the AARP website at www.aarp.org in November 2013.